Simultaneous Thermal Analysis – STA
Simultaneous Thermal Analyzer STA – Thermogravimetry TGA + Calorimetry DSC
Simultaneous TGA/DSC measures both heat flow (green curve) and weight changes (orange curve) in a material as a function of temperature or time in a controlled atmosphere. Simultaneous measurement of these two material properties not only improves productivity but also simplifies interpretation of the results.
The complimentary information obtained allows differentiation between endothermic and exothermic events which have no associated weight loss (e.g., melting and crystallization) and those which involve a weight loss (e.g., degradation).
The LINSEIS STA Simultaneous Thermal Analyzer can be used to determine simultaneous changes of mass (TG) and caloric reactions (DSC) of a sample in the temperature range from –150°C up to 2400°C. The unique characteristics of this product are highest precision, highest resolution and long term drift stability.
The STA Series was especially developed to meet the challenging demands of the high temperature as well as low temperature applications. To cover this broad range, several specifically designed furnace types are available.
Furthermore MS (Mass Spectrometer) and FTIR Spectrometer couplings can be added to receive unique additional information. Due to its superior performance, user friendliness and modularity, the Linseis Simultaneous Thermal Analysis devices are an indispensable tool for every thermo analytical user.
Our different microbalances are specifically designed to accomplish thermal analysis tasks in the best possible way. Providing ultra light weight design to follow fast weight changes and symmetric construction for ultra low drift long term measurements.
What simultaneous TGA-DSC can tell you
- Oxidative/Thermal Stability of Materials:
Aging of polymers like PE, PP, PVC and other common plastics
- OIT (Oxidation Induction Time/Temperature): Estimated lifetime of oils, fats, lubricants, fuels, plastics and rubber used for instance in sealing’s, and tubing’s.
- Composition of Multi-component Systems:
Like raw coal or mineral ores (carbon and ash content, melting and decomposition behavior of the constituents)
- Moisture and Volatiles Content of Materials: Moisture of various fuel materials like wood, oil, fat; binder content in polymers or sinter metals
- Melting and Boiling Points:
Melting and boiling point determination for material characterization
- Phase changes:
Crystallinity of Polymers; polymorphism of pharmaceuticals, phase transitions in steels
- The Effect of Reactive Atmospheres on Materials:
Reaction enthalpy determination at different oxygen levels for fuels and coal
- Sorption Properties:
Sorption properties for catalysts investigation and hydrogen storage materials
- Heats of Fusion and Reactions:
For example heat of reaction for catalysts to get an idea about needed cooling
- Mass change as % and mg
- Rate controlled mass loss
- Evaluation of mass loss
- Residue mass evaluation
- Compositional analysis
- Endo- / Exothermic reactions
- Phase transformation
- Melting point
- Glass point
- Thermal stability
- Oxidation stability
- Solidus / Liquidus relationship
- Product identification
STA PT 1600 Webinar on Demand
Learn all about the STA PT 1600 series, accessories, various applications and much more in our webinar.
- Measuring principle of Simultaneous Thermal Analysis (DSC + TGA)
- Overview of the STA units in terms of temperature range and pressure
- Explanation of the measuring principles TGA and DSC
- System of a STA
- Crucibles, sensors, furnaces and accessories
- Customized devices e.g. STA HP and applications
Go to webinar >>