Thermal analysis applications
Below you will find an overview of our applications sorted by industries. If you have specific questions about an application, please refer to the application number via our contact form directly to our sales department or laboratory. On request, we can send you further applications from mechanical engineering, photovoltaic components, for adhesives and coatings, the packaging industry or sustainable materials.
If you cannot find a measurement in your field of expertise, you are welcome to request a mesaurement.
Thermal analyzers are universal tools that are now used in many industries in the field of research and materials testing.
- In the building materials sector, for example, supports for bridges are analyzed with regard to their length expansion under various influences in order to avoid later damage due to undesired bending.
- In the chemical industry, they help to control process security while improving productivity.
- In vehicle construction and in the aerospace industry, they enable the development of new, higher-thermal materials.
- In the electrical industry, the characterization of semiconductor materials and electronic components made from them.
In principle, all physical and chemical properties of substances and substance mixtures that change significantly depending on temperature can be analyzed thermally.
Chemical and physical reactions
In thermal analysis, a differentiation is made between chemical and physical processes. Below you will find an overview of possible processes in materials research.
1. Chemical processes:
- Rusting, tarnishing, scaling of metal e.g. iron + oxygen → iron oxide
- Combustion of fuel such as petrol or coal
- Electrochemical processes in batteries
- Blast furnace ironmaking
- Production of plastics
- Setting of concrete and mortar
The chemical properties determine the reactivity and corrosion resistance of a material. In the case of physical properties, materials are characterised according to e.g. colour and melting point.
2. Physical processes:
- Freezing, heating, evaporation: ice → water → water vapour
- Liquefaction of air
- Deformation and heating during machining and crushing
- Mixture formation in Otto engine
- Mixing of gases
During physical processes the substances change their outer form, the state of aggregation. The state of aggregation depends on the energy state.
Whether it’s electrical conductivity or thermal expansion, the identification of phase transitions or a change in mass under the influence of temperature – LINSEIS ‘rugged and easy-to-use analyzers deliver accurate results for all kinds of research, development and quality testing tasks.
This results in addition to the already mentioned many other possible applications and industries. In order to best meet the respective requirements and needs, LINSEIS manufactures appropriate measuring technology according to very individual customer requirements.