Dilatometer – DIL
Expansion measurement / sintering processes / contact angle
Dilatometers are crucial pieces of equipment when testing dimensional changes in materials including metals, glasses, polymers and ceramics. They can test for coefficient of thermal expansion, linear thermal expansion, phase transitions, softening point, shrinkage steps, density changes, decomposition temperature, sintering temperature, anisotropic behavior and a range of other measurements. These function either by making physical contact with the material via a pushrod or through the use of non-contact optical sensors. A furnace incorporated into the instrument is used to heat the material in certain situations, although a dilatometer also can measure changes to materials as they cool or are kept at a specific temperature. The sample is measured by a precision displacement sensing system that identifies any changes to its physical properties. The many changes these instruments can detect include changes in rigidity, dimensional changes and irregularities.
Linseis produces a wide range of single, dual, differential, quattro, quenching, laser, optical and deformation dilatometers in a temperature range from -263 ° C up to 2800 ° C. Our dilatometers are of offer highest precision and offer automated length change measurement of solids, powder pastes and liquids.
Our dilatometers comply with international standards such as eg ASTM E831, ASTM D696, ISO 11358, ISO / DIS 9924, ASTM E1131, ASTM D3850, ASTM D6375, ASTM D6370, ASTM E2550 and ASTM D3175.
Tasks and Applications:
- determination of thermal expansion coefficient (CTE)
- linear thermal expansion (ΔL)
- sinter-temperatures and sinter steps
- determination of glass transition (Tg)
- phase changes
- optimization of burning processes
- volume changes
- Rate Controlled Sintering (RCS)
- density change
Industries We Serve
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Building Materials
- Ceramics & Glass
- Metals & Alloys
- Thin Film Technology
Horizontal dilatometer vs. vertical dilatometer
- Easy and robust design at a modest price
- Perfect choice for mid temperature range
- Easy sample handling
- Customized dilatometers for huge samples available
Horizontal Design [/ caption]
Vertical Design [/ caption]
- Zero friction design (sample is only in contact with the end knob and the pushrod)
- Multi-furnace arrangement (up to three furnaces)
- to cover entire temperature range from -180 to 2800 ° C, especially ideal for low and
very high temperatures
- to increase throughput (hot furnace can be lifted automatically to switch to new cold furnace and start new measurement)
- perfect for low temperature measurements (furnace on the bottom – measurement compartment on top) to ensure natural gas path, cold air (falls down) below sensor compartment
- perfect for high temperature measurements (furnace on top – measurement compartment below) to ensure natural gas path, hot air (streams up) above sensor compartment
- Small footprint and small lab space requirements
- Available as single-, differential / double- and quattro arrangement (1, 2 or 4 samples at the same time)
Accuracy Is Crucial
Whether you’re monitoring a chemical reaction or measuring thermal expansion for an engineering solution, it is essential that you be able to count on your instruments to provide accurate measurements. That’s why many clients across multiple industries depend on our equipment to give them the absolute highest levels of accuracy no matter what the application.
For example, these units serve to provide important information about the expansion and shrinkage behavior of building materials during the production process as well as once they reach their final destination. They also help determine the strength and durability of metals for certain potential uses. As a worldwide leader in the manufacture of these devices, you can be sure that whatever you buy from us has been designed and built to the highest standards of quality and performance. Whatever your specific requirements are, we have the capability to meet them. To learn more about our full range of products, browse our selection here on this page or get in touch with us today.